- Welcome to the RI Division of Taxation's COVID-19 Information page.
- This page is intended to provide information and updates related to COVID-19's effects on Taxation.
- Please see the following items, and the table below, for information currently available.
- ADMINISTRATIVE HEARINGS:
In light of the ongoing state of emergency related to the COVID-19 pandemic, many administrative hearings scheduled to take place in the coming weeks must be postponed and rescheduled.If you have a matter scheduled for preliminary review with the RI Division of Taxation on or before June 1, 2020, please contact the Tax Division at the number listed in the notice scheduling the review to either reschedule or arrange for a phone conference. All formal administrative hearings shall be postponed until a date after May 25, 2020. You will receive correspondence with a rescheduled hearing date. All prehearing conferences and status conferences are not postponed, but arrangements may be made to reschedule or for the conferences to take place via telephone. The individual attorney assigned to the conference will contact you directly regarding either rescheduling or coordinating a telephone conference. Should you have any questions, please feel free to contact the RI Division of Taxation at (401) 574-8829. posted 03/30/2020
- APRIL FILING DEADLINE:
- In conjunction with announcements made by United States Treasury Secretary Steven T. Mnuchin and Rhode Island Governor Gina M. Raimondo on March 20, 2020, involving the April 15, 2020, deadline for certain tax filings and tax payments, the Division of Taxation has postponed the filing-and-payment deadline for individuals and certain entities to July 15, 2020. Click here for details. posted 03/27/20
- SALES TAX:
- The Rhode Island Division of Taxation understands the difficulty that many businesses, including small businesses and retailers, are facing during this unprecedented crisis.
- To that end, the Division would like to remind businesses that the Rhode Island Commerce Corporation has information about low-interest federal disaster loans for working capital to Rhode Island small businesses that are suffering substantial economic injury as a result of the coronavirus. For details, including links to applications, hotlines, and other resources, please see: https://commerceri.com/covid-19/.
- The Division also would like to remind businesses that the deadline is Friday, March 20, 2020, for remitting sales tax, meals and beverage tax, and certain other levies. These amounts represent taxes that the businesses’ customers paid during February 2020 and that the businesses held in trust, by law, for remitting to the State of Rhode Island. For more information about the penalties for misappropriating these amounts, please see Rhode Island General Laws Sections 44-19-35 through 37.
- The Division also would like to remind businesses and other taxpayers that under Regulation 280-RICR-20-00-4 (“Taxpayer Rights and Responsibilities “), they have the express right to request that penalties be abated where there was no negligence or intentional disregard of the law. -- posted 03/19/20
- Check back as this page and the following table will be updated as information becomes available.
|Advisory||Division warns about stimulus payment scams, offers FAQs on the payments||
|Website||Rhode Island Free File program still available for free tax-prep and free e-file||
|Advisory||Notice to hotels, vacation properties, & others about guests arriving in Rhode Island||
|Notice||Notice to hotels, realtors, and others involved in hospitality and real estate transactions||
|Notice||Notice to hotel guests, short-term occupants, residential renters, and homebuyers||
|Notice||Addendum for Renter/Tenant/Lessee/Purchaser||
|Advisory||Division postpones filing and payment deadline to July 15||
|Advisory||Division establishes webpage to address issues related to coronavirus outbreak||
|Advisory||Division encourages taxpayers to reduce in-person visits as part of effort to slow transmission of coronavirus. Agency recommends use of its website, portal, and email and telephone systems||