- Welcome to the Health Coverage Mandate Information Page.
- Rhode Island's health coverage mandate took effect January 1, 2020.
- The mandate is a requirement that all Rhode Islanders (except those who are specifically exempt under the law) have "qualifying health coverage" beginning January 1, 2020.
- Sources of "qualifying health coverage" include coverage through an employer; coverage purchased directly from a health insurance carrier; Medicare; Medicaid; or a health plan purchased through HealthSource RI, the state’s health exchange.
- Failure to have coverage in 2020 may result in a Rhode Island personal income tax penalty during tax-filing season in early 2021. For more information, please see the table below.
Health Insurance Mandate Forms to attach to RI-1040 or RI-1040NR, if applicable
|Tips for Tax season: Health Insurance Mandate - 02/18/2021||Taxpayer Portal Link for Health Insurance Mandate Reporting - 01/26/2021|
|Health Insurance Mandate: Regulation Public Hearing - Summary of Comments and Responses - 12/31/2020|
Health Insurance Mandate: Reporting Requirements - Flat File Information - 12/07/2020
|Health Insurance Mandate: Reporting Requirements - FAQs - Dated 11/05/2020|
|For details about the mandate, see these FAQs:|
|See HealthSource RI for details on how to get health insurance:|
|A message for taxpayers:|
|A message for tax preparers:|
|HealthSource RI regulation posted as final and effective 12/22/19:|