- Welcome to the Health Coverage Mandate Information Page.
- Rhode Island's health coverage mandate took effect January 1, 2020.
- The mandate is a requirement that all Rhode Islanders (except those who are specifically exempt under the law) have "qualifying health coverage" beginning January 1, 2020.
- Sources of "qualifying health coverage" include coverage through an employer; coverage purchased directly from a health insurance carrier; Medicare; Medicaid; or a health plan purchased through HealthSource RI, the state’s health exchange.
- Failure to have coverage in 2020 may result in a Rhode Island personal income tax penalty during tax-filing season in early 2021. For more information, please see the table below.
|Health Insurance Mandate: Reporting Requirements - FAQs - Dated 11/05/2020||View|
|For details about the mandate, see these FAQs:||View|
|See HealthSource RI for details on how to get health insurance:||View|
|A message for taxpayers:||View|
|A message for tax preparers:||View|
|HealthSource RI regulation posted as final and effective 12/22/19:||View|